Wichita St hires former UCF coach Donnie Jones as assistant
- Sooners star Young headed to NBA draft
- Texas big man Bamba declares for draft
- WVU heads to Sweet 16 early due to storm
- PSU beats Marquette to reach NIT semis
- Miss. St. moves into NIT semis with rout
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) Wichita State has hired former Marshall and Central Florida coach Donnie Jones as an assistant for coach Gregg Marshall, filling the spot opened when Chris Jans took the head job at New Mexico State.
Marshall announced the hiring in a statement Wednesday.
Jones spent last season working as a college scout for the Clippers. He spent the previous nine years as a head coach, first for the Thundering Herd and then for UCF from 2010-16.
Marshall said he's known Jones for more than 20 years, and that they had talked about working with each other for a while. Jones' expertise in recruiting will be helpful as the Shockers make the move to the American Athletic Conference beginning next season.
Updated April 19, 2017